[ordering online? -- please see our return/refund policy]Lawrence K. Vanston
To be informed of new TFI telecom reports, click here.
It's 2015. Wondering where we'll be in the LE telecom world in 2015? This report gives forecasts for 2015 for broadband data rates, the impact of wireless, and the North America local exchange network, viewed from the perspective of 2001. It is based on published and unpublished forecasts by TFI that reflect logical extensions of current trends and are consistent with technology evolution principles.
Predictions for 2015:
- The typical household subscribes to broadband service at 24 Mb/s to 100 Mb/s.
- Medium and large businesses access the network directly with fiber at data rates from 2.4 Gb/s to 40 Gb/s.
- Fiber dominates the outside plant, comprising 100% of the interoffice network, 97% of the feeder network, and 95% of the distribution network.
- Switching is 100% packet-based on ATM and IP switches.
- Almost 70% of North American households no longer have a standard wireline connection and use wireless or computer telephony instead.
- The interoffice network is entirely fiber, with dense wave division multiplexing used on most routes.
- Of the $355 billion of network investment in place in 2001, well under 10% is still in use in 2015.
Find out more about 2015! Free Download of The Local Exchange in 2015.
- Technology Planners
- Telecom Planners
- Strategic Planners
- Information Systems/Technology Managers
- Local exchange carriers
- Competitive LECs
- Interexchange carriers
- Internet service providers
- Telecom equipment manufacturers
- Regulatory personnel
- Depreciation professionals
- Residential Customers
- Business Customers
- The Local Exchange Network
- General Architecture
- The Outside Plant
- Baseband Copper
- Circuit Equipment
- Switching Equipment
1 The World of 1986
2 North American Online Households by Data Rate - Percentage of All Households
3 Adoption of 3G Wireless Technology - percentage of North American Population
4 Narrowband Access Lines - North American Households, 2015
5 The Local Exchange Network - 2015
6 State-of-the-Art Metro DWDM System - 2015
7 Percentage of Access Lines on Copper Feeder Cable
8 Deep Fiber Systems in Common Use in 2015
9A Older PON Systems without DWDM
9B Modern PON Systems with DWDM
10 Percentage of Distribution Distance on Copper
11 Diagram of an Eight-Fiber by n-Wavelengths WDM Switch
12 Survivors from SONET Investment in Place in 2010
13 Percentage of Households with 5 Mb/s & Below Broadband Access on DSL and Deep Fiber
14 Percentage of Access Lines Served on Circuit Switches
15 End of Switching Eras-Year Use of Switching Technology Fell Below 1% of Access Lines (Major U.S. Companies)
December 2001, 28 pages, ISBN 1-884154-18-2
Texas residents add 7.25% (Austin, Texas 8.25%) sales tax.
All orders are shipped via UPS ground or Worldwide UPS Express.
Call for TTFG member prices and volume discounts
Need Acrobat Reader?