$Title = 'Technology Futures, Inc.: Publications: Telecom and Technology Market Reports: Computer Technology Trends'; $Head = ''; include("head.php"); ?> Publications Overview | Telecom Reports | Technology Forecasting Guides | Futures' Features | Future Impacts | White Papers, Articles, & Complimentary Reports | Communications Reference Book | Archive
[ordering online? -- please see our return/refund policy]
Computer Technology Trends
Description [back to top]
Computer Technology Trends provides an overview for non-technical managers who want to understand the nature of technology and market changes in computers.
- Reviews the technologies, enablers, and trends impacting computer technology today.
- Identifies changes that will lead to further evolution of the technology.
- Assesses the implications for several computer platforms--mainframes, mid-range computers, microcomputers, and servers.
- Develops technology forecasts of economic value, after-market value, and recommends depreciation periods for computer technology.
Key Findings From This Latest TFI Report [back to top]
Who should read this report? [back to top]
Table of Contents [back to top]
- Chapter One: Intoduction and Summary
- The Future of Computing
- Summary and Forecasts
- Chapter Two: Technologies, Enablers, and Trends
- Semiconductor Technology
- Digital Signal Processors
- Storage Technology
- Magnetic Tape
- Magnetic Disk Drives
- Optical Disk Drives
- Semiconductor Storage
- Input/Output Devices
- Keyboards and Touch Technologies
- Video/Audio Input
- Display Screens
- Digital Data Communications
- Private Line
- Digital Subscriber Line
- Frame Relay/SMDS
- Imaging and Document Management
- Mobile Computing
- Operating Systems and Software Technology
- Electronic Commerce
- Other Technological Issues
- Infrared Data
- Ubiquitous Computing
- Teraflop Computers
- Chapter Three: Computer Platforms
- Mainframe Computers
- Mid-range Computers
- Personal Computers
- Chapter Four: Computer Lives and Depreciation Requirements
- Valuation Based on Price/Performance
- Salvage Value
- Technology Forecasting Life Cycles
- Depreciation Practices of Other Companies
- Summary of Recommended Lives for Computer Assets
- Appendix: The National Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors
List of Exhibits [back to top]
2.1 Dimensions Versus Performance 2.2 Moore's Law Versus Projected Transistors per Chip and Roadmap Compared with Moore's Law 2.3 State-of-the-Art Microprocessors--Workstations 2.4 Average Cost of Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) 2.5 Disk Drive Technology Forecast--Major Market Units 2.6 The Three Waves of Client/Server 2.7 Worldwide Content Software Revenues 2.8 Multimedia PCs 2.9 Sales of Intranet Versus Internet Servers 3.1 Computer System Costs by Platform 4.1 Economic Value and Economic Remaining Life Based on Moore's Law 4.2 Economic Value and Economic Remaining Life Based on the Roadmap 4.3 AmCoEx Index of Used Computer Prices 4.4 Desktop Workers PC Technology Market Shares 4.5 1994 Depreciation Levels of Computer Companies 4.6 Computer Economic Remaining Lives A.1 Overall Roadmap Technology Characteristics
Pricing Information [back to top]
Published 1996, Bound Softcover, 63 pages, Sponsored by the TTFG, ISBN 1-884154-06-9
Texas residents add 7.25% (Austin, Texas 8.25%) sales tax.
All orders are shipped via UPS ground
Call for TTFG member prices and volume discounts.